. . . I was on holiday in Australia with no real concept of date or time, there was no need to know, time and date were meaningless.

We awoke on morning of 11th November on the umpteenth floor of an exclusive apartment overlooking the city of Sydney; breakfast was served on the balcony looking over the city as the sun came up and cast a golden glow over the buildings before us. Down below we could hear the roar of city life as another day began and the populace bustled about their everyday business, from our height, like ants foraging and scurrying about in a seemingly purposeless way.

The accommodation which we had for just a single night was luxurious to say the least, I’ve never slept in such a large bed and I wasn’t in the master bedroom! We were in Sydney on a whistle stop tour on our way from Melbourne to Queensland and had allowed just a few hours and an overnight stay in the city in order to take in some of the usual tourist spots. I’m not a city person so this arrangement suited me and I was grateful for the opportunity to see some of the sights.

After our breakfast we checked out of our apartment and made arrangements for the car to be collected later after we had been on a walkabout. We had seen the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge the previous evening but now we were headed for the Sydney Tower Eye where we would be able to view the whole city with a helicopter’s perspective from the relative safety of the Tower, although we declined the opportunity to be harnessed to the outside of the building. From within we were able to view and photograph the surrounding panorama in relative comfort and enjoy the experience.

I had forgotten the date, and had no idea of the time so was just a little curious as to why so many people had gathered at what looked like a war memorial, then it dawned on me that it was 11th November and the time was just past 11.00am (Australian time) so swung the camera into action to catch the dispersing congregation who had just been observing the two-minute silence at the Anzac Memorial in Hyde Park South.

Eventually we had enough of the tower and its hoards of kids on a school project and wandered back to the car park, collecting some provisions on the way ready for the next part of our adventure, the drive from Sydney to Queensland. Leaving the city was quite a stressful experience and I was only the passenger, it entailed crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge which is so massive you are unaware it is a bridge, but eventually the suburban sprawl began to die away as we moved onward into the open countryside to our destination in the sun.