, , , , , , , , ,

Following a frantic three days photography it was sadly time to travel home. We started early enough at 6.30am, there were a few locations we had an interest in viewing and possibly photographing on our journey including the famous Eilean Donan castle which every photographer and his Granny have captured in the past, and from every imaginable angle. As we approached though, the light was uninspiring and we just drove past, hardly slowing down, guessing we were about the only landscape photographers never to have stopped at this location.

Our next goal about three hours away was Glencoe. On our journey to Skye we had identified a few photogenic locations that were worthy of further investigation, including the mountain known as Buachaille Etive Mor; at 1019 metres, it is not the highest peak in Glencoe, but is very conical and dominant in the landscape. Dave had seen photos of this peak with a cascading stream in the foreground so we set off across the boggy moor, our goal espied in the distance some half-mile away. The early sun we had experienced on the first few hours of the journey had disappeared behind heavy cloud and we hoped it would stay that way for a while, the mountain looked moody with the gloomy sky, although visibility was very clear. We stayed for a while capturing the mountain and stream from every conceivable angle until it was time to trek back to the car, this is just one of the many pictures I took here.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Our next stop was on Rannoch Moor at Lochan na h-Achlaise, a location I’d spotted on our way past five days earlier. We pulled into the nearest parking space, but the light was uninspiring and the prospect of another ten hours on the road, so our satnav was telling us, made us pack our photographic gear away without firing a shot. You’ll have to make do with a screen grab from Google Maps to see the view with which I intended to be creative.

Lochan na h-Achlaise

The drive home was horrendous, bunching traffic and manic lorries made the experience rather demanding for both driver and passenger and with numerous refreshment breaks we finally arrived back at Dave’s house nearly fifteen hours after we had set out. It had been an interesting week however, taking in many scenic locations during our trek, thanks for the invite Dave, it was a great photographic experience.

You can view Dave’s photographs in his Isle of Skye album on flickr, and you can view a large number of my pictures on the Isle of Skye page on my Weebly photographic site.